Skip to main content

This isn't your Twitter

Growing up through my generation I've watched Yahoo Groups, AIM, MSN Messenger, MSN Games, MySpace, and so on and so forth come and go through my life.  Much of my experience was short-lived unless I actually was active with someone through one of these ideas, such as joining a group to talk about a game or a book series (or MUD, a Multi-User Dungeon). This all leads up to our most recently popular items:  Twitter, Facebook, SnapChat, BlogSpot, so on and so forth to name just a few that come to mind immediately.  Each of these barely come within an inch of my notice, but with the re-focus in these programs I have found they are not the same thing I remember from when they first started.

This week we are focusing on Twitter and how it's used to reach out and meet, greet and respond between consumers and a business.  This, some might not know, can be a very serious issue.  Tweets can be saved, re-tweeted, shared and dispersed elsewhere across the internet, so if you're not prepared to back up what you're about to send, or prepared to accept feedback on a particular item you've re-tweeted (I'm looking at my own company here for something I noticed when I was applying for it), it's good to think twice over that drafted message before submitting it as your final draft.  With the limiter posed by Twitter it's very easy to write a quick message and send it out, especially if you're confident that you aren't going to make a mistake and use an accidental indecent typo, or re-tweet about someone's mis-use of your packaging.

This is also a great way to send out easy short-message responses back and forth about a topic, with it open to everyone, just your friends or only people you want to respond, it's a good way to get a conversation across with those you trust, for others to see, without encountering unwanted feedback from outside your group.  I look forward to establishing this as a professional and a personal twitter feed separately as well for things that interest me outside of work.  I hope that you're able to find a niche on Twitter or other group-based communication sites like it to find ways to converse with those you'd like to meet!

Comments

  1. Seems like these platforms come and go so fast. I wonder if once I have a well established account will I have to figure our how to migrate it all to some new kind of platform in few short years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment