Skip to main content

Welcome to this blog!

 Hello,

My name is Gordon Paustian and this is my blog created in tandem with my OLP course through Idaho State University.  If you've found this blog and weren't looking for it, congratulations!  You may or may not find something useful for what you're looking for.  I will be posting to this blog and replying back and receiving comments from my other classmates in this course as we work in these blogs through the semester and hope that if you found this one interesting then you can do the same with theirs.

I will be writing posts here about technology and it's uses in education or ways to communicate and share ideas across an organization or in the public domain.  During this semester this blog will help me gather ideas and thoughts on uses for different aspects of education and the sharing of ideas.  I will also be using some of what I share here in my personal and professional life, so as I continue to work through this semester I will be sure to let you know of things I have ended up taking with me outside of the course and applying to a real world example.

Thank you for your time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few other things

 When I look at what some blogs offer, I notice some say to do things, but rarely go into endorsing something in particular.  Whether this has some implications for businesses or not I don't know at this point, but there are some tools that my business has used that I would like to take this week to highlight. SharePoint I've been using SharePoint for the past few years as a tool to provide group workspaces, a document library, document management, auto-mailer and a few other specialty tools.  Granted I am using an older version but I have also used the newer SharePoint Online which opens up to communication between other Microsoft Office products as well (moreso that I am used to).  You can give users their own logins into this collection, enable it to be through a certain connection (your building) or open it up to wherever you have access to the internet (this latter for better use/functionality for your team).  I think to fully use this program it takes more than just one u

Getting Results

 One of the major tools that's come to my attention is...   Both for work and school I have found this tool to be increasingly useful as an established method to allow classmates and coworkers alike to respond to question I have for them without causing them to lose time in their day. The free version of SurveyMonkey's "Basic" plan allows you to to create as many surveys as you would like, while limiting the amount of questions per survey to 10, easy enough if you're looking to just ask for some quick feedback on an issue or idea.  You can provide a web-link or a QR code for users to scan and respond to via PC or mobile devices and view up to 40 responses to your survey (you get more responses, but can only view them all buy buying in). While you do get a lot with the free package, upgrading also includes tools and features that better enhances your own experience and better shows off your survey to others.  It will also allow you to use SurveyMonkeys respondent p

This isn't your Twitter

Growing up through my generation I've watched Yahoo Groups, AIM, MSN Messenger, MSN Games, MySpace, and so on and so forth come and go through my life.  Much of my experience was short-lived unless I actually was active with someone through one of these ideas, such as joining a group to talk about a game or a book series (or MUD, a Multi-User Dungeon). This all leads up to our most recently popular items:  Twitter, Facebook, SnapChat, BlogSpot, so on and so forth to name just a few that come to mind immediately.  Each of these barely come within an inch of my notice, but with the re-focus in these programs I have found they are not the same thing I remember from when they first started. This week we are focusing on Twitter and how it's used to reach out and meet, greet and respond between consumers and a business.  This, some might not know, can be a very serious issue.  Tweets can be saved, re-tweeted, shared and dispersed elsewhere across the internet, so if you're not pr